Sunday, April 3, 2011

Not so Funny: Old Mama, Sexy Babies

Lately I’ve really been struggling with a nagging idea that I might be getting … old. I’m not suggesting that I’m elderly or that it’s all over or anything silly like that. But evidence suggests that I may at least be approaching old-ish. Mom old.
 
Recently, I was carded while buying wine at Hannaford, which gave me some relief from the idea that I might be visibly aging. This was no ordinary carding. The clerk asked for my ID, studied it, and quizzed me on my personal information. Feeling pretty chuffed, I repeated this story to some girlfriends, only to have one of them say, “Ha! She probably just finished a training or something this afternoon.” Bitch.
 
As that was my only real evidence that I wasn’t aging, I was forced to reexamine the opposing evidence. Lately I’ve found myself thinking, “these kids today!” a lot. I’ve even gone so far as to say this out loud to some women at a scrapbooking event. (I realize scrapbooking is another point in the old column, so let’s not mention it.)
 
What prompted me to happily engage in one of these ‘kids today’ discussions? The latest pop hit from that little cutie pie Rihanna. I heard the following lyrics in my car a few weeks back and nearly drove off the road:

Cause I may be bad

But I’m perfectly good at it

Sex in the air

I don’t care; I love the smell of it

Sticks and stones

May break my bones

But chains and whips

Excite me
 
WHAT? Seriously, people. This is a radio station that children listen to. Tween girls are calling in and flirting with the veejays all day long. I was tempted to put the dial right back on NPR where it belonged, but my curiosity was piqued. Next up? A sweet track from Usher:

Honey got a booty like pow, pow, pow

Honey got some boobies like wow, oh wow

Girl you know I’m loving your, loving your style
 
To add insult to injury, the name of the song is “OMG.” Inspired. He’s practically my generation’s answer to Shakespeare. I mull this all over while gazing at myself in the bathroom mirror during L’s bath that night. Wait a minute, is that me or my mom? I’m drinking coffee! Since when do I even drink coffee? Christ. I’m old.
 
I actually began taking a few notes on this ongoing old/not old debate. I won’t detail all of them here, because this is already getting long and I haven’t even made my point yet. But what I realize is that I’m not getting old – I’m just having a new reaction to an old problem. When I see the list on paper, there’s a common denominator in the things that are bothering me.

Bratz dolls. Toddlers in Tiaras. High heeled shoes in children’s sizes. Disgusting lyrics in pop songs. Middle school girls giving blow jobs at school. Sexting. My own 3 year-old checking out her butt in the mirror (learned behavior from mom). Real makeup lines designed for 8 year-olds.

The sexualization of our girls, our children, is real. And that has nothing to do with feeling ‘old.’ And there sure as hell isn’t anything funny about it. So I’ll have to depart from my self-absorbed musings to make space for something that’s actually important.
 
Our culture puts a premium on sex. We put a premium on youth and on beauty. At home we may tell our girls that their brains and personality are most important, but everything else they see tells them otherwise. Merchandise, songs, clothes, advertising, and movies say something else altogether.
 
The messages out there assure our girls that their bodies are to be exploited and their mouths aren’t for talking. Their brains don’t even factor into the equation. At the end of the day, these messages add up to some sobering statistics. One out of every three women has been physically or sexually abused in her lifetime. Chances are good if a woman was abused, it began at a young age – over half of rapes are committed against women younger than 18, and over 20% of those are on children younger than 12.

You may think I’m making a pretty big leap from sexy toddler clothes to rape. “Advertising isn’t that bad! These songs are a joke – no one takes it seriously!” Really? Take a look at the following words and images and get back to me. If you make it to the end, there are some links you might find interesting. If you do anything at all, take a half hour this week to watch Killing Us Softly on You Tube. It will leave you speechless, which, if you're a woman, is exactly where they want you...

If she ever tries to fucking leave again

I'mma tie her to the bed

And set the house on fire

Eminem, Love The Way You Lie




























I've only recently heard that a popular retort given to adolescent girls by adolescent boys is "Go make me a sandwich." I'm not sure what I'll have to do to keep my own daughter protected in this crazy world we're living in, but I can promise her one thing: I'll be raising her to respond to that kind of remark with a sandwich involving four of her knuckles. 

Some reading on the sexualization of our children and what you can do about it: 

The American Psychological Association's report on the sexualization of girls

Sexualization Protest: Action, Resistance, Knowledge (SPARK), a movement for girls’ rights to healthy sexuality. 

PBG: Powered By Girl on Facebook and PoweredByGirl.org. (Also, thank you to PBG - I found several of these ad images on their Facebook page. Like them!)




20 comments:

  1. I'll bring you back to Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" to remind you that this has been going on all along.

    See also: Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bon Jovi, etc., etc., etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Penny. I have found that being a mother, especially a mother to girls has transformed me from "hooray, girl power," to "hardcore, crazy-bitch, I'll fight you on the street, feminist." Can't wait til their teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny - I don't have a child yet, but I already feel these same things. It's awful and terrifying! I cannot imagine the kinds of things we'll be battling when our kids are in high school. What's even scarier to me is how the internet (particularly facebook, etc...) makes all of this so much worse. Thanks for writing this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason - you are totally right, of course. I wonder why the Stones don't feel as offensive to me? (I don't remember them talking about the smell of sex in their songs, but I may be wrong. You would know.) It seems the lyrics are harsher now, more shocking than poetic.

    When I first saw Killing Us Softly ten years ago in undergrad, I was too busy buying what they were selling to pay attention. When I saw it again last semester in grad school, ten years older and with a daughter of my own, I was quite affected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article.
    I walked away from the Elite modeling world and produced/directed a documentary called Cover Girl Culture. www.covergirlculture.com with an emphasis on the sexualization of girls by the media as well as solutions. Would love to send you a screener for review. Interviews with editors from Teen Vogue will leave you speechless or furious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the era of JonBenet and such I find these images horrifying.What is even more horrifying are the models, agencies and designers who promote this junk.It does not matter to them about the image as long as it sells..and as we have heard for years sex sells.To the "fashion" industry the models cannot be too young or too skinny.The entertainment industry is just as toxic,with ugly lyrics and crappy videos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt extremely old when I heard Rihanna singing S&M for the first time - not the shocked, appalled, getting-the-vapours kind of old but the weary, fighting-the-same-goddamned battles over and over kind of old. I mean really, what the hell is so sexy about leaving absolutely nothing to the imagination? What's intelligent about not having the least idea how to say something with any subtlety? I try to just take it step by step with my daughter but it's just so pervasive and disheartening sometimes. (I love the knuckle sandwich part). We had a great discussion centering around a boy in her class who said boys are stronger than girls. Happily, she had to open his snack container for him shortly afterwards. Take that, jerkwad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. So true. You might enjoy "Enlightened Sexism: The Seductive Message that Feminism's Work is Done" by Susan Douglas. I'm reading it now and your post strikes the same chord.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm feeling the same, my girls are 2.5yrs and 4yrs. Those photos really show it all so clearly don't they, but beautifully last night my 4yr old sang a little song on her way to bed (with a nudey bottom)..."bottom, bottom, bottom, I love you bottom"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have much that I could add, from personal experience but also as an elementary school teacher. However, I've lost my words due to the pictures above. Particularly creepy is the one of the 6 year old with the tramp stamp and then the miniature Dynasty 6 year olds in the Cadeaux ads. Barf.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bebediaries - the best part of the sweet baby girl with the fake tramp stamp is that she is Cindy Crawford's daughter. They did a 'fun' little photo shoot. Somehow, the ensuing photo of a topless child striking a Sports Illustrated pose with a fake tattoo missed the mark with me. Way to take the innocence out of what could have been a beautiful picture of a child.

    Alyssa - thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out.

    Lorri - love the song! Maybe your daughter could teach today's pop stars a thing or two about sincerity and poetry in lyrics. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  13. So right you are old lady... from another old lady, who's not yet reached the age of 32! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To Jason:
    It is really misguided to be comparing this stuff to Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bon Jovi, etc., etc., etc. A little justification?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Penny, you are not old, you have morals and a sense of decency. You know I am the first person to joke about sex, however, I NEVER talk or expose my young grandkids or anybody's kid for that matter to anything questionable. Innocence should remain pure and untouched as long as possible. Great post, thanks for the food for thought. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good work Penny - if Moms like you are aware of this, we as women may be able to combat it. As a feminist from the Second Wave of the 70's, I cringe when I see these depictions of women and girls. We as women need to strongly boycott and protect ourselves from this c___!! We should write emails, boycott, and educate, as you are doing. Girls need to grow up strong and independent, with a good self-image, and moms like you make all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was from me, Earline, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am the mother of an 11 yr old son. My husband (his father, I know... shocking these days! LOL) are raising him to respect girls and women. I don't have the perfect figure and I admit it. But my son hears my husband tell me he loves me just the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cringe when I see these images. And I wonder why I have poor self body-image...? No. Between Barbie dolls, fashion models & actresses on tv we are taught to be thin and sexy. Growing up in the 70s (yes, I too am Mom-old) the smart women on tv were ugly or funny-looking or fat and always alone. The beautiful women were clueless, thin, and had a different guy to call on every night of the week.

    I am raising my sons to respect a women's mind and cherish her and her body - not see her as only a plaything, a sex toy. We CAN be playthings too...when we want to be, not when men tell us to be one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For all interested, Safe Voices (formerly Abused Womens Advocacy Project) will be holding their annual walk against violence on May 14th in Lewiston. Check out their facebook page! A great project with youth, for the cause and to teach civic duty/responsibility!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete